Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Getting through a cramp

Cramps stink!  I mean all cramps, even premenstrual!  However, running cramps can feel like you are about to have a heart attack!  I had one of those yesterday.  It was about 5 minutes into my run and I started to feel a cramp in my upper tummy then in my arm/shoulder.  What do you do?  Well what I do is run through them.  I was only going 3 miles last night so I knew I wouldn't have to deal with these long if I couldn't shake them, but I did.  What I do when I have runners cramp is slow my pace slightly and really focus on my breathing.  Usually a couple of burps help ease the cramp and in last nights instance they went away about mile two.  I made up for slowing my pace in the middle of my run to basically sprint the last mile. It felt awesome.  It is weird but sometimes having a cramp can give you something to focus on other than running.  When I got rid of the cramp, I was already at mile two and it felt like a flash because your focus is solely on the uncomfortable feeling, not that I would want cramps while I'm running ever again, just a thought. 

I have 95 days until my Marathon and 395 days until my wedding!  These are both very exciting countdowns and ones that I think about pretty much everyday.  I want to be mentally, physically and emotionally prepared to conquer both of them and I find the more that I focus and put energy into these events the more clear my overall life feels.  I have been feeling a sense of calm for a while now.  At first I was like ok, why am I so calm all the time, when will the ball drop, but for now I decided to just accept and be happy that I am in a good state.  A clear state of mind. 

There is plenty of sadness and hardships in every ones life and mine is no exception, but sometimes it is good to focus on just the good, just the happy, just the best things in life.  It doesn't make sadness go away, I think for me at least it is only enhancing the appreciation for the people and experiences I can right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment