Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What a little Fall can do for you!


It's here, it's here!!!!  Last night's run was definitly needed!  I was supposed to do 5miles, but felt so flipping great I did 6.3 and killed it. I added a bridge onto my run along with my usual hill course.  This run bumped me back into feeling I can run the marathon.  Hopefully the cooler weather is here to stay!

I got my time, bib number etc today this a.m.  It is all so very official!  I am bib number 55167 and my start time is 10:55am!  I estimated that I would run the marathon in 4hrs and 30min so I am assuming that is what everyone starting at that time will pace themselves at.  It is super late though.  I mean think about it, I will be running at pretty much the hottest times of the day.  Dang it!  It best be chilly!  I am super excited though.  After last night and seeing all the updated info on the ING Marathon profile page, I am feeling all sorts of nervous energy!

Last but not least, I cannot blog today without touching on the fact that it is 9/11.  I know exactly what I was doing that day.  I was in college at Montclair State University.  My friends and I could see the fire from a hill at our college.  We sat together in our dorms and watched the towers fall.  No one said a word.  It was surreal.  Something that was part of the NYC skyline we saw everyday was gone.  Thousands lost their lives.  Everyone knew someone who lost someone.  Being from New Jersey and living in a heavy NYC commuter area the days that followed where surreal.  It was like everyone was drifting.  I volunteered to be part of an effort to cook for individuals volunteering at Ground Zero.  I worked for Outback Steakhouse and they contributed food and we volunteered our time to cook for them.  I went with a college friend of mine and we worked over night near Ground Zero.  If you have ever been to NYC, you can see that the Financial District is busy, always busy.  On these nights, we were driven in by policemen and the town was shut down.  There was our tents where we cooked and then there was people working at Ground Zero.  There is nothing that can describe the overwhelming feelings you have.  You are sad for America's loss, you are angry that individuals could do this, you are proud that so many people rise up to help when needed.  I will never forget that day 11 years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment